Friday, April 17, 2015

Week 27 - Spring break blues...

Monday April 6th

Happy birthday Laura! :)

Up bright and early for genetics and evolution today - 8am. Oh how I did not miss them, at all! Got my results back from the last exam, 88%! So naturally I was delighted seeing as the mean was a 79% I think? And the median was low 80's so yay! Then after an hour break had my ornithology lecture. We're learning about bird vocalizations at the moment so it's pretty cool! Kris has loads of cute video examples to show us as well so it's fun.
I got home and grabbed some lunch before heading off out to North Reserve so I could get some ink for our printer which appears to be out of ink yet again! This took about an hour out of my day with me getting stuck in traffic and whatnot.
This afternoon was very unproductive. I had spent my day yesterday doing my genetics take home exam which was due by today and also making head way on my rangeland proposal which is due for Thursday, I just didn't feel like doing anything. I tried to read my recreation behaviour paper but started failing miserably. I just couldn't concentrate :(
This evening, Kate and I went for a walk around the neighbourhood cause we both wanted to clear our heads. We came across a little school which had a playground so naturally we went and sat on the swings. I saw there was also a basketball court and a basketball (which was more like a stone) so we shot around for a while which was fun! I realized how bad I've become at basketball it's not cool...
 
Two female white tail deer munching on someone's lawn while we were at the playground. Haven't spotted these guys around and about the place in ages!

Tuesday April 7th

HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY AV!!

Don't have college Tuesdays until 11am so that's always nice! Discovered in my rangeland class today that I have a presentation to do for Thursday - not fun! I also got back my exam which I got a 94% in! Which is a bit mad?! I also got my recreation behaviour result back and I got a 96% in that. WHAT EVEN IS HAPPENING?! Won't complain though, I put work into those exams (kinda) I would have wanted decent results..
So essentially when I got home from college today it was straight into work. I started on my presentation and by god did I get an awkward paper. 19 pages long and the weirdest methodology to it. I spent the evening doing this so unfortunately nothing too exciting.
I have also discovered that people from Russia enjoy reading my blog so hello to you lot! And there appears to me more USA viewers than Irish viewers, whattup with that?!


Wednesday April 8th

Today was another one of those busy days where I spent all day doing assignments. I had to correct my grant proposal for rangeland ecology with I set about doing first. Fiona proof read it for me so all I had to do was some minor adjustments and also proof read hers. I then went working on my summaries for rangeland that's also due for tomorrow. As well as my rangeland presentation.
And that was essentially all my day consisted of... Rangeland ecology ALL day long :P

This was the title page of my presentation that I finished making today/tonight!
 Thursday April 9th

7am field trip this morning to Fort Missoula where we were learning to trap birds. We caught some House Sparrows and also some Juncos in some misnets. These nets are extremely hard to see so it's pretty easy to catch birds in them at the right time. We brought them inside and took some measurements on them like wing chord, mass and tarsus length.
After this I had an hour off where I kept reading over my presentation stuff cause I was presenting at 12pm. Brady asked who wanted to go first and I happily volunteered cause I wanted to get it over and done with. I wasn't nervous, and was able to talk calmly and clearly and kinda slow (I hope). So another job done! :D
Then had an hour and a half off before my recreation behaviour class, I had a paper to read for today so I tried my best to get this done during this time. I kind of got the idea of it so not too bad! We had a guest lecture for our rec behaviour lecture where we were learning about place meaning. Basically, what places mean to you and why this is so.
Fiona and I watched The Lion King tonight, I was in the mood to sing a long to something, and we both needed a good movie as a pick me up from how busy/stressful our day was..


Friday April 10th

8am genetics lecture, we're learning about natural selection and also adaptations so I'm really enjoying these lectures at the moment! :D This was followed by Ornithology which was the same ole craic.
Once we got home I put my washing on straight away. I put it off for far too long to the point where I had to use two washing machines to get all my stuff washed :/ While my washing was being done, I got to work cleaning all the dishes that had been put in the press that weren't cleaned properly - there was quite a number of them -_-. While I was at this, Fiona cleaned the counters and scrubbed the surface of the oven. The amount of grease that gathers here is gross. After I got the dishes scrubbed, I started on the bathroom. There was make-up all over the sink and toothpaste on the tap?! I don't even know.. So this was scrubbed and then I started on the toilet and the shower. The shower was the worst. It required some amount of scrubbing!
Our bin hadn't been taken out in like two weeks - and it's in a press that's right outside my bedroom door so I can actually smell it from my bedroom door. It's not my job to take the bin out since I do the cardboard recycling I have to drive over to campus to get rid of it, there was a decision made that I didn't have to take the bin out anymore. But not today - it was smelling so bad! I tried to take the bag out of the bin and no go. The damn thing was leaking.. I apologize for the detail but it wouldn't be a story without it :P Fiona did the hoovering of the apartment while I took the bin out and also washed it. I think the whole cleaning process took us well over an hour. It was spring cleaning round 2.

Fiona went off to work, and I tried to sit down and do some assignments but my head wasn't having any of it :P Friday didn't consist of anything too exciting Kate called over for a while and Fiona went through and checked all our motels we were looking into for the roadtrip back NEXT MONTH.  Yep, I only have one month left in this beautiful state.


Saturday April 11th

 Today began with no alarm being set, and it was beautiful. I did wake up at 8am but I forced myself back to sleep until 10am, not too bad. I got to work on my genetics homework and got it finished before getting on facetime to Mom and Aisling for a while.
Fiona, Kate and I went to the playground and played basketball for a while before the rain started. The sky was a lovely shade of dark grey so we decided to be wise about it and go home cause it looked like it was going to downpour. In the end it ended up not downpouring - oh well. The rest of the day just consisted of a whole pile of nothing really. I tried to do some rangeland ecology summaries but no good. I wasn't up to it, so Fiona and I put on some documentaries about animals so of course, we were happy out!
The playground of Lewis and Clark School.
 We also got planning our roadtrip some bit and looking into motels. When I say we I mean Fiona, since I'm doing the driving she's doing a lot of the planning so yay! :P


Sunday April 12th

So today began with finding out 4 of the new season 5 game of thrones episodes have been leaked and are online! WHAT TO DO! So naturally, we started to load up the first episode which took forever. So during this time, I worked on my rangeland ecology summaries. Then it was time. We watched episode 1 of game of thrones. AND I LOVED IT. I missed watching it, I think over the summer I'm going to binge watch seasons 1 through 4 again over the summer hopefully cause I watched them all bunched together I've forgotten people's names and what they look like already -_- hahaha.
We set out on an adventure to buy some toilet paper and then once we got back it was essentially time to get all the rangeland ecology summaries done. This week, we accidentally got landed with having to do four of them, which isn't exactly fun but the subject of this week is fire and the affects on herbivory and grazing, which is kinda cool!
Shannon text me today asking me over for dinner so I headed over before 6.30pm. Dan also came along so it was nice to all be reunited after Spring Break. We all chatted about how our different breaks went and how relaxing they were. It's nice to be back! We then sat down to an absolutely fabulous dinner, we had steak with a variety of vegetables to go with it! Today, they made me try beets and asparagus. I wasn't a fan of the beets but I did actually like the asparagus! We chatted for ages this evening, while having a good ole laugh and some delicious chocolate brownies Shannon baked! I also learned that she has a PhD in animal behaviour which is insanely cool! So naturally, I had to get her to explain it all to me - so fascinating! She also offered to dig up her Thesis so I can read through it seeing as my Final Year Project is an observation of the behaviour of primates! :D





Hey guys! So thanks again for reading this weeks post, I'm absolutely terrible for taking photos for my blog and stuff, I need to get back into the habitat of it, but weekdays are so busy we don't get to be as adventurous as we were last semester :P Still having an absolute blast here and I don't really want to leave especially since I've got a second family here now and some really good American friends. Next week, we're going to have a bit more of an exciting weekend though! We're going on a day trip, but I'm not going to tell you where to - that's cheating! :P

Thanks for reading!

- Shannen.

No comments:

Post a Comment